Skip to main content

New England Medical Center Records

 Collection
Call Number: MS099

  • Ask a Question

Scope and Contents

The records of the New England Medical Center (NEMC) contain the administrative, financial, legal, publicity, and departmental records of the institution. The collection also contains extensive audiovisual material; timelines and reference files relating to NEMC's history; publications by and for NEMC; planning files for the expansion of NEMC; and the records of affiliated organizations, such as the Frances Stern Nutrition Center and the Ladies Committee. Of particular interest are the Photographs and audiovisual material series (MS099.001), which contains hundreds of photographs depicting physicians, staff, patients, procedures, and NEMC buildings, dating back to the 1890s, and the Reference material series (MS099.002) which contains historical reference information, including a timeline of events from 1665 to 1992.



As there was a periodic shifting of departments to and from NEMC/T-NEMC and their constituent institutions, any comprehensive search of a particular topic over time must involve also consulting the other NEMC archives collections at DCA. Contact DCA for information about associated material of this collection.



This collection suffered extensive water damage due to a flood before it was in the custody of DCA. It underwent conservation efforts before processing, but several materials, particularly folders, scrapbooks, and bound volumes, are still warped or retain a musty odor. In addition, many items are fragile, and must be handled carefully.



DCA will forward to Tufts Medical Center all requests for permission to reproduce archival materials not in the public domain.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1920 -- 1990
  • 1880 -- 2009

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is organized into 19 series: Photographs and audiovisual materials; Reference material; Administration records; Departments; Personnel records; Finance records; Development office records; Legal counsel records; Corporate Public Affairs office records; Planning office records; Architectural/Engineering Services records; Frances Stern Nutrition Center records; Rehabilitation Center records; Ladies Committee records series; NEMC International; Publications; Oversized material and artifacts; Archives of the New England Medical Center Hospitals records; and Legacy collection documentation.

Related Materials

MS214, Boston Dispensary records, DCA
MS213, Boston Floating Hospital records, DCA
MS220, Ralph Deterling papers, DCA
MS221, Samual Proger papers, DCA
MS222, Pratt Clinic/New England Center Hospital records, DCA
MS224, Tufts-New England Medical Center records, DCA
MS228, Bingham Associates Fund records, DCA

Extent

391.6 Linear Feet

2 Volumes

2 artifact

161 Digital Object(s)

Biographical / Historical

The New England Medical Center (NEMC) is the principal teaching hospital for the Tufts School of Medicine and School of Dental Medicine. The Medical Center's chiefs of service are joint appointees with the medical school and most serve as chairs of their respective departments at the medical school. Students take 25% of their required third year clerkships and 50% of their fourth year electives at NEMC.

Recognizing that education and research are essential components to good medical care, the New England Medical Center was established in 1930 through the alliance of the Boston Dispensary, the Boston Floating Hospital for Infants and Children, and the Trustees of Tufts College. The NEMC was established as a non-profit corporation to coordinate the administrative activities of its constituent organizations. In 1946 the Joseph H. Pratt Diagnostic Hospital, an extension of the Boston Dispensary established in 1938, joined NEMC. In 1950, when the Medical School and Dental School relocated to Harrison Avenue, the NEMC became known as the New England Medical Center Hospital.

The entity was renamed Tufts-New England Medical Center in 1968, and in 1970 the NEMC board met at the Coonamessett Inn in Falmouth, Massachusetts to outline ways the NEMC and Tufts could further coordinate operations. The resulting directives, known as the Coonamessett Statement, indicated that support services and other business functions should be made the responsibility of T-NEMC in each case where it made sense to do so. That same year Tufts President Hallowell and NEMC President Quarles signed an affiliation agreement that codified the T-NEMC as an alliance through which its constituent units would move toward a completely integrated operation. By 1976, T-NEMC controlled health care studies, medical engineering, community health and ambulatory care, employee-student health services, lab animal medicine, some research, off-site medical services, a common utility supply center, architectural services, communications, educational media, parking facilities, property ownership, and public relations. However, by the late 1970s both institutions had experienced a change in leadership, resulting in a change of priorities for each. Interest in integration waned and the cooperation forged in the early 1970s was dismantled.

After a period of tension and competition in the 1980s, Tufts and NEMC drafted a new affiliation agreement in 1991, which remains in effect as of 1999. In 2000, the center was once again named Tufts-New England Medical Center, or T-NEMC.

Custodial History

This collection was originally part of the archives of the New England Medical Center (NEMC), which closed in 1990. The collection was processed under the leadership of Dave Nathan, archivist at the NEMC archives. from 1985 - 1990, and had the following NEMC acquisition numbers: 83-14, 87-1, 83-3, 84-2, 84-14, 84-30, 84-22, 84-32, 84-39, 85-15, 85-8, 85-11, 85-20, 85-36, 85-12, 85-19, 86-9, 86-14, 86-17, 88-1, 89-10, 89-20, 83-13, 84-36, 84-40, 85-4, 85-7, 85-9, 87-9, 84-9, 84-28, 85-12, 86-39, 86-40, 86-41, 87-26, 88-15, 87-30, 89-5, 89-12, 84-18, 88-1, 84-33, 85-18, 85-47, 85-16, 86-59, 86-60, 86-61, 86-62, 86-56, 84-6, 84-7, 84-30, 84-35, 85-37, 86-4, 85-17, 85-37, 86-64, 86-28, 86-55, 87-36, 88-3, 88-12, 84-41, 86-63, 86-66, 87-8, 83-4, 86-18, 86-32, 86-50, 85-1, 86-24, 84-34, 86-52, 85-34, 86-12, 86-53, 86-33, 87-32, 83-1, 84-9, 84-18, 84-24, 84-32, 84-39, 84-42, 86-23, 86-28, 86-39, 86-40, 86-41, 86-42, 86-55, 86-57, 87-7, 87-11, 87-26, 87-31, 87-36, 89-11.

In spring 2013, NEMC material was transferred from NEMC to a restoration company for conservation treatment, and was then transferred to off-site storage in custody of Digital Collections and Archives (DCA). In December 2014 and January 2015, the material was transferred to DCA for processing. Some material originally in the NEMC archives was not transferred to DCA, due to either poor condition or loss.

Processing Information

This collection was processed in from 2013-2016 by Elizabeth Mc Gorty, Project Archivist, under the supervision of Susanne Belovari, Archivist for Reference and Collections; Liz Frances, Records Archivist; and Adrienne Pruitt, Collections Management Archivist.



This collection was previously processed by Dave Nathan. On transfer to DCA, received order was maintained at the series level. Any later additions were placed at the end of series. Photographs and audiovisual materials were separated from their original collections by Dave Nathan, and were given their own series by DCA (MS099.001). Photographs and audiovisual materials were rehoused in archival quality folders and boxes, with the exception of slides and negatives. Some paper-based material was rehoused in archival folders. Collection and series description written by Dave Nathan was updated, but folder level titles were maintained. Not all material listed in Dave Nathan's Guide to the NEMC Archives was transferred to DCA. Missing items have been noted at the series level.

Processing status

This collection contains some restricted material. Restrictions related to specific material are noted in the Detailed Contents List in each series.

Repository Details

Part of the Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University Repository

Contact:
35 Professors Row
Tisch Library Building
Tufts University
Medford Massachusetts 02155 United States
617-627-3737