Harold G. Simms Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains photographic slides, Tufts memorabilia, and WWII memorabilia. Slides were taken by Harold G. Simms between 1946 and 1949 and consist of 36 color slides of campus landscapes and 35 color slides of Mayoralty Parades in 1947 and 1948. The collection also includes photographic negatives, information on the Tufts Camera Club, Tufts memorabilia, and WWII-related materials.
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1945 -- 1949
- Creation: 1900 -- 2015
- Simms, Harold G. (Person)
Language of Materials
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see “Reproductions and Use” on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish.
Any intellectual property rights that the donor possesses have been transferred to Tufts University.
Biographical / Historical
Harold Glenn Simms was born in 1926 to William E. Simms and Ruby Simms. William and his brother Eric J. Simms ran the Simms Bros Yacht Yard in Dorchester. In the 1940s, Harold supervised construction of boats, including T-boats, which the Army commissioned as passenger-cargo boats doubling as harbor tugs (known as tug-transports, or T-boats during World War II). Pfc Harold G. Simms, 330th Infantry, E Company HQ, served in World War II and was awarded a Purple Heart, and later on received a Bronze Star for 'outstanding devotion to duty as a company runner during military operations from July 4 1944 to May 8 1945 in France, Luxembourg, Belgium and Germany.' Harold Simms later attended Tufts University (1946-1949) and graduated in 1949 with a B.S. in Civil Engineering, cum laude. While at Tufts, Simms founded the Camera Club (1947) and served as its president (1947/48) and treasurer (1948/49). After graduating, Simms worked as naval architect.
3.9 Linear Feet (3 record cartons, 2 album and scrapbook boxes, 1 flat file publications box)
3 Digital Object(s)
This collection contains photographic materials, Tufts memorabilia, and WWII memorabilia created by or belonging to Harold G. Simms, who graduated from Tufts in 1949 and founded the Camera Club.
This collection is organized in six series: Slides and negatives of Tufts campus buildings; Slides of Tufts Mayoralty Parade; Tufts Camera Club; Memorabilia; WWII materials; and WWII born digital files.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Harold G. Simms, 2007-2016, accession numbers MS-2017-031; 2013.035; 2010.016; 2009.032; 2007.024.
This collection is processed. Processing of the 2016 accession completed by Leah Edelman. Materials were placed in archival boxes and loose materials were placed in folders. Received order was maintained. Series-level descriptions and box and file level inventories were created, and the finding aid was updated at the time of processing. Stabilization and processing of digital files completed by Leah Edelman and Margaret Peachy, 2017.
- Under Revision