Upward Bound Records
Scope and Contents
- 1966 -- 1970
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Biographical / Historical
Russell Elliott Miller was a Professor of History, University Historian and Archivist of Tufts University, and author of "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts College from 1852 to 1952" and the second volume "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts University since 1952." He was born in Bloomington, Minnesota, on April 25, 1916, to one of the last pioneer families in the Minnesota prairie. His mother spoke Dakota Sioux, which she had learned as a child. He received a B.A. in Education in 1937 and an M.A. in political science in 1939, both from the University of Florida at Gainesville. From 1942 to 1946, he served in the Army Air Corps as an enlisted man, rising to the rank of technical sergeant. Initially with personnel and classification, he was finally assigned to the historical section (intelligence) at the headquarters of the troop carrier command. In 1948 he earned a Master of Arts in history from Princeton University and came to Tufts that same year.
In 1952 he received a PhD from Princeton, and in 1964 Tufts appointed him Professor of History and University Historian and archivist. He taught courses ranging from the history of western civilization to the history of the American frontier. In 1966, he published "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts College from 1852 to 1952." That year he received the Distinguished Service Award from the Tufts Alumni Association and became an honorary member of Phi Beta Kappa. In 1975 he became the Walter S. Dickson Professor of English and American History and chaired the Department of History from then until 1980. He was voted Emeritus Professor of English and American History in 1981 and received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree in 1983. In 1986, he completed the second volume of Tufts history, "Light on the Hill II, A History of Tufts University since 1952."
Biographical / Historical
In 1965, Tufts applied to sponsor the program on campus during its summer, pulling in high school students from Mississippi as well as from the greater Boston area. It ran for three summers, between 1965 and 1967, in which several high school students from the first cohort matriculated to Tufts. Students attended the program at no cost and were housed on campus for six-weeks. Programming focused on both academic and cultural enrichment. Students took classes which improved their language and mathematics skills; they also went on trips to various museums and attractions around the Boston area.
The program was viewed successfully, both by Tufts administration, and by those who attended it; instructors reported that students strengthened their academic backgrounds and gained a strong desire to apply and attend a good college. However, in 1968, Tufts withdrew its involvement in the program due to an administrative impasse with the local Upward Bound administration. Both groups struggled to communicate with each other leading up to the deadline for the application for the 1968 summer program, resulting in Tufts withdrawing the submitted application in March of the same year, ending funding for the program.