Skip to main content

Classes Collection

Call Number: UA039

Scope and Contents

This collection contains reunion notes and programs, class day and class activity books, scrapbooks, graduation ceremony records, and photographs of graduated classes from 1858 on. The collection also includes newspaper clippings, correspondence, audio and video recordings, and memorabilia such as graduation gowns, class rings, pins, and patches related to graduated classes.


  • Creation: 1816 -- 2022



This collection is open for research. This collection may require review before it is available for use. Please contact TARC for further details.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see “Reproductions and Use” on the Tufts Archival Research Center website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish. Copyright to all materials created by Tufts University employees in the course of their work is held by the Trustees of Tufts University.

Biographical / Historical

Russell Elliott Miller was a Professor of History, University Historian and Archivist of Tufts University, and author of "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts College from 1852 to 1952" and the second volume "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts University since 1952." He was born in Bloomington, Minnesota, on April 25, 1916, to one of the last pioneer families in the Minnesota prairie. His mother spoke Dakota Sioux, which she had learned as a child. He received a B.A. in Education in 1937 and an M.A. in political science in 1939, both from the University of Florida at Gainesville. From 1942 to 1946, he served in the Army Air Corps as an enlisted man, rising to the rank of technical sergeant. Initially with personnel and classification, he was finally assigned to the historical section (intelligence) at the headquarters of the troop carrier command. In 1948 he earned a Master of Arts in history from Princeton University and came to Tufts that same year.

In 1952 he received a PhD from Princeton, and in 1964 Tufts appointed him Professor of History and University Historian and archivist. He taught courses ranging from the history of western civilization to the history of the American frontier. In 1966, he published "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts College from 1852 to 1952." That year he received the Distinguished Service Award from the Tufts Alumni Association and became an honorary member of Phi Beta Kappa. In 1975 he became the Walter S. Dickson Professor of English and American History and chaired the Department of History from then until 1980. He was voted Emeritus Professor of English and American History in 1981 and received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree in 1983. In 1986, he completed the second volume of Tufts history, "Light on the Hill II, A History of Tufts University since 1952."


57.66 Linear Feet (69 boxes, 10 oversized folders, 32 VHS cassette tapes, 1 oversized framed photograph)

2 Volumes

11 Digital Object(s) (Of the 11 digital objects in this collection, 2 have extent information comprising 18 files.)

56.0 Megabytes (Of the 11 digital objects in this collection, 2 have extent information comprising 67.7 MB.)

Language of Materials



This collection contains memorabilia and other material relating to various graduating classes from Tufts University.


This collection is organized in two series: Classes, and Additional accessions.

Material is added to the collection as it relates to graduating classes, so it is organized by class year, not date of the creation of the material. For example, a 50th reunion book for the class of 1928 would be in the series for the class of 1928, and not with material created in 1978.

Custodial History

The Classes collection was created by Russell Miller to organize material relating to individual classes that did not fit into any of his other subject categories. Material about individual classes is currently added to the collection.

All material accessioned prior to 1997 was originally arranged by subject, no attempt was made to recreate original order, although material relating to administering the collection was removed to the documentation files of the collection in the archives.

Most of the news clippings, photographs, press releases, and correspondence have been separated from the subject files. These types of materials are present however, throughout the subject files as well.

Related Materials

Jackson College for Women Records, 1871-1985. Tufts University. Tufts Archival Research Center. Medford, MA.

Processing Information

This collection is partially processed.

Repository Details

Part of the Tufts Archival Research Center Repository

35 Professors Row
Tisch Library Building
Tufts University
Medford Massachusetts 02155 United States