Skip to main content

Abraham Berliner Collection of Dental Instruments

 Collection
Call Number: MS200

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of periodontal instruments developed by Dr. Abraham Berliner, circa 1958, as well as some biographical information about him.

Dates

  • 1936 -- 2012

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see “Reproduction and Use” on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish. Any intellectual property rights that the donor possesses have not been transferred to Tufts University.

Biographical / Historical

Abraham Berliner was born in Gloversville, New York and attended Long Island University in Brooklyn. He graduated from the Tufts School of Dental Medical in 1936.

During World War II, Berliner served as a dental surgeon in the Army, achieving the rank of captain. Following the war, he returned to New York where he headed the periodontia department at Jewish Memorial Hospital. He was the author of three textbooks and of numerous articles for professional journals. He specialized in new techniques and instruments for use in diseases of the supporting structures of the teeth.At he time of his death, Berliner was chairman of the department of periodontology and dental pathology at Sydenham Hospital.

Berliner died on June 30, 1966 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Manhattan, New York.

Extent

1.2 Linear Feet

Arrangement

This collection is organized into two series: Biographical information; Dental instruments.

Custodial History

Biographical information was pulled from the DCA's Vertical Files on 2012-11-14. Periodontal equipment donated by Dr. Stephen Sheppard.

Processing status

This collection is processed and open for research.
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University Repository

Contact:
35 Professors Row
Tisch Library Building
Tufts University
Medford Massachusetts 02155 United States
617-627-3737