Skip to main content

Tuftonian

 Collection
Call Number: UP237

Scope and Contents

This collection contains issues of the Tuftonian. It was the first student magazine, appearing in 1864 and published at irregular intervals until 1872. The magazine was sponsored jointly by Zeta Psi and Theta Delta Chi, the first national fraternities to have chapters on the Tufts Campus. The "Annual," as the "The Tuftonian," was unofficially called, was published in tabloid size until 1870, and thereafter in pamphlet form.

The magazine featured a diverse array of items that would be of interest to Tufts' undergraduates, including descriptions of student organizations and sketches of faculty. An attempt to turn "The Tuftonian" in a more literary direction failed in 1865, after a call for creative works, including a college ode, went unanswered. In response, the editor concluded "the students of Tufts College are not eminently a Literary class."

"The Tuftonian" was published in tabloid form from 1864-1870, and thereafter in pamphlet form until 1872. This collection contains the tabloid issues, from 1864-1870, comprising one bound volume.

Dates

  • 1864 -- 1870

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is organized into one series.

Extent

1 Volumes

Biographical / Historical

The Kappa Chapter at Tufts was the eleventh Zeta Psi group to be granted a charter. In 1855, Robert M. Morse, Jr. and J.L. Flagg, members of the Rho Chapter at Harvard, founded the Kappa Chapter and entrusted Benjamin A. Hathaway of tufts with the task of selecting the charter members. He soon chose six other men who were initiated a few weeks later at Harvard, thus making the Kappa the oldest fraternity chapter at Tufts.

A yearbook-like publication called the "Tuftonian" was produced by the Zeta Psi Fraternity and the "Secret Society" between 1864 and 1877. In 1878, the name "Tuftonian" was taken by the literary magazine originally called the "Tufts Collegian." Zeta Psi continued to produce a yearbook publication and called it the "Brown and Blue" in reference to the College colors. By 1888 the Brown and Blue had developed into a modern yearbook and was published by the junior class. The "Brown and Blue" was published intermittently into the early part of the twentieth century. In 1917, the first "Jumbo" yearbook was published, this time by the senior class, reviving the yearbook at Tufts.

There is no editorial relationship between the "Tuftonian" in this series and the later literary magazine of the same name.

Processing status

This collection is processed and open for research

Repository Details

Part of the Tufts Archival Research Center Repository

Contact:
35 Professors Row
Tisch Library Building
Tufts University
Medford Massachusetts 02155 United States
617-627-3737