Skip to main content

Tufts Music

 Collection
Call Number: UP086

Scope and Contents

This collection contains electronic copies of the Department of Music newsletter. 'Tufts Music' is the official newsletter for the Department of Music. It was designed to highlight accomplishments of faculty and staff. The first issue was released in Spring 2009.

Dates

  • 2009

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Biographical / Historical

The Department of Music was established on August 7, 1895 when the Tufts College Board of Trustees voted to create a professorship in the History and Theory of Music. Professor Leo R. Lewis was appointed to the new position. Interest in music at Tufts was high from the onset. In 1896 President Capen's annual report counted 26 students enrolled in music courses - nearly 10% of Tufts' 270 students. By 1901, the Department of Music was declared "permanent" by President Capen, who lauded Professor Lewis for creating a department "likely to become one of the strongest of the College." Capen also praised Lewis for creating a chorus for the Sunday evening services in Goddard Chapel, organizing and instructing the Glee Club, preparing college songs, and "awakening an interest in music throughout the College." (Hersey, p. 32)

Tufts Music Department has always played a major role in organizing musical performances on campus. Historically, performance groups included the Glee Club, the Tufts Choir, the Banjo Club (which became the Mandolin and Guitar Club), the Jackson Glee Club, the Orchestra, the Chamber Singers, and the College Band. By 2007 Tufts Music Department had expanded its vocal and instrumental groups to include 19 performance ensembles including the Chamber Singers, Concert Choir, Tufts Jazz Orchestra (TJO), Tufts Symphony Orchestra (TSO), Wind Ensemble, and Pep Band. The Department organizes over 180 events and concerts annually.

In 1899, the Music Department found its first official home on the third floor of Goddard Gymnasium. This original space consisted of two rooms; one for general use and a second for the Music Library, which housed the collections of Rev. Thomas Wittemore, Albert Metcalf, and Frederic Louis Ritter. In 1930, the Old Chemistry Lab on Boston Avenue was converted to the "Music House." The department remained there until 1955, when it moved to the basement of the newly built Edward E. Cohen Arts Center (now Aidekman Arts Center). Outgrowing its basement facilities, the music department was relocated to 20 Professors Row, which had appropriately been home to Professor Lewis throughout his 50 year career at Tufts. In 2005 the Department found an interim home on 48 Professors Row, before making its final move to the $27 million Granoff Music Center in 2007. The Center houses the Distiler Performance Hall, the Lily Music Library, three classrooms, 20 faculty offices, and a rehearsal hall.

As of 2010, Music remains one of the largest and most active academic departments on Tufts campus, offering courses in musicology, ethnomusicology, theory, composition, and performance. Each year around 1,500 Tufts students enroll in department classes. Since 1973 a reciprocal agreement with the New England Conservatory of Music (NEC) has allowed students at both institutions to take courses at either school to be applied toward their respective degrees. Tufts also offers a five year dual-degree program with NEC, giving students the opportunity to earn their B.A. or B.S. from Tufts while earning a Bachelor of Music from NEC.

Extent

1 Digital Object(s)

Arrangement

This collection is organized into one series.

Processing status

This collection is processed and open for research

Creator

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University Repository

Contact:
35 Professors Row
Tisch Library Building
Tufts University
Medford Massachusetts 02155 United States
617-627-3737