COVID-19 and DCA
New England Environmental Network News
Scope and Contents
- 1979 -- 1992
- Lincoln Filene Center (1961-1999) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
The Lincoln Filene Center for Citizenship and Public Affairs was originally the Living Flame Memorial Foundation, founded in 1945 to provide civic education in the aftermath of World War II. In 1951 the Foundation changed its name to the Civic Education Foundation. Tufts University President Nils Yngve Wessell expressed an interest in the Foundation, and in 1954, the Civic Education Foundation began operating from Tuft’s campus, where it became the “Tufts College Center for Civic Education in cooperation with the Civic Education Foundation.” In 1955, the Lincoln and Therese Filene Foundation endowed the Lincoln Filene Professorship in Citizenship and Public Affairs, and in 1961 the center became known as the Lincoln Filene Center for Citizenship and Public Affairs. In 1989, the Center merged with Tufts University and was no longer a separate entity. The Board of the Civic Education Foundation became the Board of the Lincoln Filene Center.
The Center conducted workshops for teachers at disadvantaged schools, worked to improve the Boston area school system, held the annual Massachusetts Assemblies on State Government from 1959 to 1968, and conducted Black Awareness programs for Tufts staff members in the 1960s and 1970s. The Lincoln Filene Center was also responsible for publications on various topics related to citizenship, government, and public affairs. Broadly, the mission of the Lincoln Filene Center was to promote active citizen participation and the study of the components of citizen participation.
In 2002, the Lincoln Filene Center became a division of the Tufts University College of Citizenship and Public Service. This College became the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service in 2006.
0.25 Linear Feet
- Language of description
- Script of description