Skip to main content

High Energy Physics Records

 Collection
Call Number: UA204

  • Ask a Question

Scope and Contents

The High Energy Physics (HEP) records include documents pertaining to U.S. Government contracts and grants issued to the HEP Group at Tufts University from 1957 to 2000. This collection contains proposals, budgets, correspondence, progress reports, foreign travel information and personnel data used to renew government contracts. These records track the annual projects and progress of High Energy Physics research at Tufts University. This collection also contains the records of Richard Milburn, a professor in the Physics Department who worked in the High Energy Physics program.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1956 -- 1999
  • circa 1947 -- 2005

Creator

Access

This collection contains some restricted material. Restrictions related to specific material are listed in the detailed contents list.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see “Reproductions and Use” on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish. Copyright to all materials created by Tufts University employees in the course of their work is held by the Trustees of Tufts University.

Arrangement

This collection is organized into three series: Grant Files; Unprocessed accessions; and Richard Milburn records.

Extent

16 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Biographical / Historical

Tufts University began experiments in the field of elementary particle physics when it was issued its first grant by the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) in 1957. The original contract issued by AEC funded the study of hypernuclei and strange particles in emulsions, and set the foundation for a series of bubble chamber experiments. The High Energy Physics Group at Tufts received continuous grant funding from the AEC, which became the United States Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA) in1974 until President Carter established the United States Department of Energy (DOE) in 1977.

Aside from bubble chamber studies, the High Energy Physics Group was also involved in the invention of the backscattered laser beam, experiments in collider physics, exploration of heavy quarks, investigations of high energy neutrino interactions, neutrino oscillations, and theoretical studies in particle phenomenology. While early researchers performed experiments using the Berkeley Bevatron, the group also carried out extensive studies at many high energy physics laboratories including the Brookhaven National Laboratory, the Cambridge Electron Accelerator (CEA), the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC), Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois, Rutherford Laboratory in England, the CERN SPS near Geneva, Switzerland, and now the CERN LHC. Most recently Tufts researchers have participated in proton-antiproton experiments using the Collider Detector at Fermilab (CDF), in the long baseline neutrino oscillation experiment MINOS (using the 730 kilometer neutrino beam, NuMI, from Fermilab to northern Minnesota), and in the ATLAS experiment at the LHC.

Notable faculty in High Energy Physics include Professor Jacob Schneps, who has been active in the program since its foundation, Professor Julian K. Knipp, Professor Richard H. Milburn, Professor Gary R. Goldstein, Professor W. Anthony Mann, Professor William P. Oliver, Professor Austin Napier and Professor Krzysztof Sliwa as well as Professor Allan Cormack who earned a Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1979. As of 2010, the Group is managed by two project directors, and employs eight faculty members. Research is contributed by faculty, visiting scientists, postdoctoral research associates, graduate and undergraduate students, and technicians. Tufts High Energy Physics Group plays a major role in advancing the global understanding of elementary particle physics through innovative research and development in the field. These advancements are supported by grants from the United States DOE, which the Group has successfully obtained for over fifty years.

Special thanks is also extended to Professor Jacob Schneps for offering his time and editorial input.

Custodial History

DCA Staff discovered three missing folders in box 1 of this collection in April 2014, after a patron had looked at it. The missing folders are: 001.00010 AEC budget, 1974; 001.00011 Progress report, 1973; and 001.00012, AEC budget, 1973. There were also loose papers stuffed in the back of the box. The staff deduced that these files were probably part of folder 001.00011 Progress report, 1973; the files were placed in a new folder and labeled as such, with a note stating what had happened. Two other folders were added to the box as placeholders for 001.00010 and 001.00012 with notes attached to them that explain that staff noticed the folders were missing in April 2014.



Staff looked through all other boxes this patron had viewed in a two week period before this discovery was made and did not find the missing folders.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by DCA Collections Assistant MacKenzie Brigham in the winter of 2009, under the supervision of Susanne Belovari, Archivist for Reference and Collections. Care was taken to maintain original order, as most documents were arranged chronologically when transferred to the DCA. Notable exceptions include data compiled by HEP for five-year reports, which were left in the order kept by the department. Duplicates were removed from the collection, as well as personnel forms containing Social Security Numbers and other sensitive information. Requisitions and purchase orders were also removed from the records. Richard Milburn records were processed by Leah Edelman in 2018. Materials were placed in archival boxes if the original housing was damaged, and loose materials were placed in folders where needed. Received order was maintained. A box-level inventory and series-level description were created and the finding aid was updated at the time of preliminary processing.

Repository Details

Part of the Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University Repository

Contact:
35 Professors Row
Tisch Library Building
Tufts University
Medford Massachusetts 02155 United States
617-627-3737