Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences Records
Scope and Contents
- 1850 -- 2012
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
20.6 Linear Feet (13 boxes and 1 oversize folder)
Biographical / Historical
The Department of Geology first appeared in the Catalogue of Tufts College for the 1892-1893 academic year. By the 1893-1894 academic year, the Department of Geology articulates a list of courses that comprise its curriculum. Professor Marshall is listed as being the head of the Department. For the 1902-1903 academic year, the Department of Geology articulated the following philosophy and mission statement, "The subjects offered in the department of Geology have a twofold object: to give an outline of the structure and history of the earth; and to give a training in the methods of observational science".
Professor Alfred Church Lane, a leading scholar and a long-serving chairman of the Department of Geology resigned during the 1935-1936 academic year over his refusal to sign the "loyalty oath" which the state of Massachusetts had recently made a precondition for individuals teaching in its schools. The state law which stipulated the signing of the "loyalty oath" as a precondition for teaching in Massachusetts schools called on teachers to "support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts".
The Department of Geology began offering a Master of Arts degree for the 1939-1940 academic year. It concluded this degree program after the 1970-1971 academic year.
In 2012, the name of the department was changed to the Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences.
- Curriculum and Instruction -- Academic Departments and Programs Subject Source: Local sources
- Curriculum and Instruction -- Teaching Material Subject Source: Local sources
Part of the Tufts Archival Research Center Repository
35 Professors Row
Tisch Library Building
Medford Massachusetts 02155 United States