School of Engineering Records
Scope and Contents
This collections contains correspondence, exams, course materials, press releases, clippings, reports and theses related to the College and School of Engineering at Tufts.
- Creation: 1854 -- 2010
- School of Engineering (Organization)
Language of Materials
This collection contains some restricted material. Restrictions related to specific material are listed in the detailed contents list. This collection may require review before it is available for use. Please contact DCA for further details.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see "Reproductions and Use" on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish. Copyright to all materials created by Tufts University employees in the course of their work is held by the Trustees of Tufts University.
Biographical / Historical
In 1865 Tufts College began a three-year degree program in civil engineering. The Departments of Electrical and Chemical Engineering were later established in 1890, with chemistry labs initially located in Ballou Hall. The School of Engineering was officially established as a distinct school within Tufts College in 1898. Engineering continued to be differentiated from other academic disciplines within Tufts College in 1902, when the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was established with Engineering as a constituent faculty.
In 1922, Edith Linwood Bush, a Tufts alumna, was made an assistant professor of mathematics and therefore became the first female College of Engineering faculty member. In 1943, the first female student graduated from the College of Engineering.
In 1944, the Medford reservoir was drained and dismantled, and recycled bricks were put to use in the construction of new engineering buildings. Among these was the Charles D. Bray Laboratory of Mechanical Engineering, named in 1946 in honor of the first Tufts faculty member to have an academic title containing the words "mechanical engineering."
In 1992, the Gordon Institute became part of Tufts University. Founded in 1984 by Bernard Gordon as the first organization dedicated to training engineering managers and leaders, the Gordon Institute offers graduate degrees in Engineering Management and Innovation and Management, as well as undergraduate programs in Engineering Management and Entrepreneurial Leadership.
In 2004, the Tissue Engineering Resource Center (TERC) was established within the department of Biomedical Engineering with funds from the National Institute of Health. TERC, which also has a partner institute at Columbia University, works to engineer human tissues for medical research.
As of 2015, the School of Engineering contains six academic departments, the Tufts Gordon Institute, and the Center for Engineering Education and Outreach.
193.1 Linear Feet (160 boxes)
4 Digital Object(s)
This collection is organized in eleven series: Subject files; Photographs; Annual reports; Undergraduate theses; Graduate theses; School of Engineering student records; Ephemera and publications; Capstone projects; Accreditation records; and Faculty meeting minutes; and Unprocessed accessions
This first three series of this collection were created by Russell Miller in preparation of his history of Tufts College, Light on the Hill. In 2009 College of Engineering annual reports were moved from Series 003 to UA045.002.021 as the material fits with the collection more cohesively.
The fourth and fifth series consist of undergraduate and graduate theses. Accompanying the collection are several indices which the Engineering Department created including an index by thesis number (1874 to 1955), an index by author (1873 to 1931), and an index by subject (1873 to 1931).
In January 2013, 95 double-long boxes of records were transferred to DCA from the attic of Robinson Hall. The move was coordinated by Vincent Miraglia, Mechanical Engineering Coordinator.
All material accessioned prior to 1997 was originally arranged by subject, and no attempt was made to recreate original order. Material relating to administering the collection was removed to the documentation files of the collection in the archives.
This collection is partially processed.