Career Services Records
Scope and Contents
- 1969 -- 2011
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
Biographical / Historical
Career Services (1900-present) was established in 1900 by the Alumni Council and the Trustees of the College and was originally called the Placement Bureau. The Bureau functioned as a clearinghouse and referral agency for graduating students. The Office name went through many changes, starting with the Employment Bureau (Tufts College Catalog 1921-22, 47). Revived in 1929 as the Placement Bureau (Light on the Hill, 435). In 1933, it became the Department of Personnel and Vocational Guidance. The department's new scope included hiring a psychologist to help students with orientation, studying, mental hygiene and other issues. Freshman counseling was established in this office in 1936-1937 school year and became permanent. The Committee on Student Employment was also established in 1936, and its services were designed to help undergraduate students find part-time jobs. In tandem with this, a Placement Office was created for alumni in 1936 (Light on the Hill, 658).
The office was first located in Ballou Hall, then moved to Eaton Memorial Hall in the 1920s. From 1973-1987, the office was called Career Guidance and Placement and was located in Bolles Hall, 226 College Ave., Medford, MA (Facilities Management, UA021/001). From 1987-1999, the office was called Career Planning Center, with a shortening to Career Planning in 1990. In 1999, the name was changed to Career Services and was moved to the Dowling Hall Student Services Center, 419 Boston Ave., Medford, MA.
The Career Services Office is administered by the Division of Student Services, which is overseen by the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs.
Part of the Tufts Archival Research Center Repository
35 Professors Row
Tisch Library Building
Medford Massachusetts 02155 United States