Miller, Russell E.
- Existence: 1916-04-25 -- 1993-01-03 - 1993-01-03
Russell Elliott Miller was a Professor of History, University Historian and Archivist of Tufts University, and author of "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts College from 1852 to 1952."
Russell Elliott Miller was a Professor of History, University Historian and Archivist of Tufts University, and author of "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts College from 1852 to 1952" and the second volume "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts University since 1952." He was born in Bloomington, Minnesota, on April 25, 1916, to one of the last pioneer families in the Minnesota prairie. His mother spoke Dakota Sioux, which she had learned as a child. He received a B.A. in Education in 1937 and an M.A. in political science in 1939, both from the University of Florida at Gainesville. From 1942 to 1946, he served in the Army Air Corps as an enlisted man, rising to the rank of technical sergeant. Initially with personnel and classification, he was finally assigned to the historical section (intelligence) at the headquarters of the troop carrier command. In 1948 he earned a Master of Arts in history from Princeton University and came to Tufts that same year.
In 1952 he received a PhD from Princeton, and in 1964 Tufts appointed him Professor of History and University Historian and archivist. He taught courses ranging from the history of western civilization to the history of the American frontier. In 1966, he published "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts College from 1852 to 1952." That year he received the Distinguished Service Award from the Tufts Alumni Association and became an honorary member of Phi Beta Kappa. In 1975 he became the Walter S. Dickson Professor of English and American History and chaired the Department of History from then until 1980. He was voted Emeritus Professor of English and American History in 1981 and received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree in 1983. In 1986, he completed the second volume of Tufts history, "Light on the Hill II, A History of Tufts University since 1952."
Found in 25 Collections and/or Records:
This collection contains correspondence, directories, photographs, newspaper clippings, publications, minutes, budget documents, and membership lists of various Tufts student organizations. It also includes Hemispheres - a Tufts publication, as well as course evaluations up to 1991.
This collection contains general alumni information, as well as information about alumni councils, alumni days, alumni associations, and homecoming. Materials include photographs, brochures, pamhplets, meeting records, ledgers, and some memorabilia.
This collection contains photos, correspondence, and some other general records of the Amrad Corporation as well as physical objects.
This collection contains subject files including correspondence, reports, photographs, and publications of the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Therapy and Physical Education.
This collection contains memorabilia and other material relating to various graduating classes from Tufts University.
This collection contains one folder of correspondence, press releases, and a brochure about the Department of Systems Analysis.
This collection contains photographs, drawings, plans, correspondence, maps, newspaper clippings, and publications about Tufts buildings. The bulk of the material deals with the Medford campus.
This collection contains files and records pertaining to housing, health services, personnel, scholarships, and accounting, as well as correspondence and building plans for the Tufts Administration Building.
This collection is sharply focused on student activities specific to Jackson College including records of the student government and social groups and activities. There are also three scrapbooks of the Jackson College Athletic Association, which include clippings and photographs of athletic events.
Also included in this collection is material related to women at Tufts prior to the establishment of Jackson College in 1910.