Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Department of Grounds and Buildings

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1849 -- 1999

The Department of Grounds and Buildings was created during the latter half of the nineteenth century, with the purpose of maintaining the grounds and buildings of Tufts College in Medford. As the college grew to include the Schools of Medicine, Dental Medicine, and Veterinary Medicine, responsibility for maintaining the Boston and Grafton Campuses, in addition to the Medford/Somerville Campus, fell to the Department of Grounds and Buildings.

The department was renamed the Department of Buildings and Grounds in January 1980. In 1999, the department again underwent a name change, becoming the Tufts University Facilities Department. While still charged with building and ground maintainence, the Facilities Department is also responsile for energy management, recycling, administration of the space inventory system, and planning and implementing maintainence projects.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Margaret Henderson Floyd Records

 Collection
Call Number: UA047
Scope and Contents: This collection contains records created and used by Professor Margaret Henderson Floyd during her years at Tufts University. Records include architectural blue prints and drawings, photographs and negatives (with contact sheets) of campus buildings, committee minutes and reports, correspondence, memos and notes relating to her position at Tufts University.
Dates: bulk 1983 -- 1989, 1982 -- 1998