Office of the Boards of Overseers
- Existence: 1970 -- 2012 - 2012
Name change voted by Board of Trustees in February 2012.
Throughout the history of Tufts University, Visiting Committees and Boards of Overseers have existed to provide guidance to various schools and programs at Tufts. A single Board of Overseers, composed entirely of alumni, was established in 1899 and existed until 1907. At that time, the Board dissolved itself and the use of Visiting Committees was reestablished.
In the late 1980s, the Visiting Committee system transitioned to a system of multiple Boards of Overseers, coordinated by the Office of the Boards of Overseers.
In this current state, the Boards of Overseers are advisory boards for guiding, advising, and advancing Tufts University. There are ten boards, one for each school and programmatic area of the University; they comprise more than 250 people of national and international stature from business, health sciences, academia and other fields. The Boards of Overseers work with the Deans, Provost and President to address Tufts' needs and aspirations. While formal institutional governance and fiduciary responsibility for the University rests solely with its Board of Trustees, the Overseer boards play a key role in the advancement of the University.
Overseers have three primary responsibilities:
1. To be an articulate spokesperson for and ambassador of the University among alumni, friends, associates, and colleagues;
2. To advise, counsel & support the administration to further the mission of the University;
3. To assist in the acquisition of resources essential to the further advancement of the University in its teaching, research, and service missions.
Schools and Programmatic Areas of the Boards of Overseers
* School of Arts and Sciences
* School of Dental Medicine
* School of Engineering
* Fletcher School
* School of Medicine and the Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences
* The Gerald J. and Dorothy R. Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
* Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service
* Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
Until 2000 there was also a Board of Overseers Library Committee.
Found in 203 Collections and/or Records:
Appendix to the Report from the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service Board Meeting, 2011-10-20
Appendix to the Report from the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service Board Meeting