Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Zeta Psi fraternity, Kappa Chapter

 Organization

Biography

Abstract:

The Kappa Chapter of the Zeta Psi fraternity was founded at Tufts College in 1855. It is the oldest fraternity at Tufts.

The Kappa Chapter at Tufts was the eleventh Zeta Psi group to be granted a charter. In 1855, Robert M. Morse, Jr. and J.L. Flagg, members of the Rho Chapter at Harvard, founded the Kappa Chapter and entrusted Benjamin A. Hathaway of tufts with the task of selecting the charter members. He soon chose six other men who were initiated a few weeks later at Harvard, thus making the Kappa the oldest fraternity chapter at Tufts.

A yearbook-like publication called the "Tuftonian" was produced by the Zeta Psi Fraternity and the "Secret Society" between 1864 and 1877. In 1878, the name "Tuftonian" was taken by the literary magazine originally called the "Tufts Collegian." Zeta Psi continued to produce a yearbook publication and called it the "Brown and Blue" in reference to the College colors. By 1888 the Brown and Blue had developed into a modern yearbook and was published by the junior class. The "Brown and Blue" was published intermittently into the early part of the twentieth century. In 1917, the first "Jumbo" yearbook was published, this time by the senior class, reviving the yearbook at Tufts.

There is no editorial relationship between the "Tuftonian" in this series and the later literary magazine of the same name.

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Brown and Blue Yearbook

 Collection
Call Number: UP023
Scope and Contents This collection consists of several yearbook-like publications under related titles. Between 1864 and 1877, the Zeta Psi fraternity and the "Secret Society" produced a publication called the "Tuftonian." In 1878, the name "Tuftonian" was taken by the literary magazine originally called the "Tufts Collegian." Zeta Psi continued to produce a yearbook publication and called it the "Brown and Blue" in reference to the College colors. By 1888...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1888 -- 1899; 1878 -- 1904

Tuftonian

 Collection
Call Number: UP237
Scope and Contents This collection contains issues of the Tuftonian. It was the first student magazine, appearing in 1864 and published at irregular intervals until 1872. The magazine was sponsored jointly by Zeta Psi and Theta Delta Chi, the first national fraternities to have chapters on the Tufts Campus. The "Annual," as the "The Tuftonian," was unofficially called, was published in tabloid size until 1870, and thereafter in pamphlet form.The magazine featured a diverse array of items that...
Dates: 1864 -- 1870