The Tufts College Glee Club started in 1885. The Girls Glee Club started in 1908. The Glee Club was responsible for writting "the Brown and Blue" and performed several concerts a year. They also published the Tufts Song Book.
The First Tufts College Glee Club formed in 1867. There were sporatic attempts to organize musical organizations and the glee club during the years of 1877-1885. The College Choir formed in 1885 and consisted on nine voices at their first performance on December 27, 1885. The Tufts College Glee Club evolved from this choir and held their first concert under this name on March 15, 1886 in East Cambridge. The first concert held at the College was on May 17, 1886. Then the Glee club was inactive during the 1886-87 school year only to reorganize under a strict regime for the 1887-88 school year. They also formed the Mandolin Club in this year and preformed in 30 concerts. In 1888, they wrote "The Brown and Blue" and published the Tufts Song Book in 1895 and 1906. In 1908, the Tufts Girls Glee Club formed and performed their first concert. It's not clear when the Glee club disbanded. The available archival material stops in 1930 but it is likely that group continued to perform until the beginning of WWII
The Glee club is composed of thorough musicians, who are all submitted to an individual examination by the Director and the Musical Committee of the Club before being allowed to appear. Rehearsals are held daily under the personal supervision of the Glee Club Director.
The first musical organization was created in 1859. The Philharmonic Club and Silver Bells Quintet Club started in 1863.