The Registrar is the custodian of student records. This encompasses classroom assignments, final exam schedules, registration, grade recording, transcripts, enrollment, transfer of credits information, and the Tufts bulletin.
The Registrar's office (1894-present) was established in fall of 1894 by the College. Professor Heman A. Dearborn was the incumbent bursar from 1895-1897, and Rev. William A. Smart was elected by faculty to be the first bursar in 1897 (Light on the Hill, 358). The bursar's office was located in Eaton Hall as of 1980 through 1990, when it was moved to Sweet Hall, 419 Boston Ave. Medford, MA., which later became the site of Dowling Hall in 2000 (Facilities Management, UA021/001). The registrar's office was responsible for setting student schedules, issuing transcripts, and recording grades.
As part of a reorganization of student services on campus, the Registrar's office was made part of the Office of Program Support in 2000, likely folded back into other student services in 2006.
The Faculty of Arts & Sciences created a Committee of Examination, which scheduled and graded final exams in starting in the 1902-03 school year. The names of those faculty were printed in Tufts College catalogs only from 1863-1864. Scheduling exams was later administered by the Registrar's office (Light on the Hill, 361).