Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Trustees of Tufts College

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1851

In 1851, a Board of Trustees was nominated by the subscribers to replace the temporary Board created at the 1847 Educational Convention of the Universalist Church. The new Board selected a site and drew up the governing rules for the new College.
In 1851, a Board of Trustees was nominated by the subscribers to replace the temporary Board created at the 1847 Educational Convention of the Universalist Church. The new Board selected a site and drew up the governing rules for the new College.
As local lore has it, when a relative asked Charles Tufts what he would do with his land, and more specifically with 'that bleak hill over in Medford' Tufts replied, 'I will put a light on it.' In 1855, a toast to the new Tufts College was offered at a Universalist gathering in Faneuil Hall. Hosea Ballou 2nd, a Universalist clergyman and the college's first president, remarked, 'For if Tufts College is to be a source of illumination, as a beacon standing on a hill, where its light cannot be hidden, its influence will naturally work like all light; it will be diffusive.'

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Boston School of Occupational Therapy Bulletin

 Collection
Call Number: UP139
Scope and Contents: This collection contains the Bulletin of Boston School of Occupational Therapy from 1918 to 2002. Published by the Trustees of Tufts College, it has yearly listing of courses, requirements, and information about the school. Additional flyers and course listing may also be included with the bulletins.
Dates: 1918 -- 2002

Office of the Board of Trustees Records

 Collection
Call Number: UA003
Overview: This collection contains the records of the activities of the Board of Trustees beginning in 1848.
Dates: 1848 -- 2020

Tufts College Treasurer's Report

 Collection
Call Number: UP216
Scope and Contents: This collection contains the published version of the Tufts College Treasurer's report. Earlier reports, 1875-1884, are contained in the Board of Trustees files UA003.
Dates: 1885 -- 1967

Tufts Combined Catalogs, Bulletins, and Course Announcements

 Collection
Call Number: UP005
Scope and Contents: This collection contains the bound Catalogs, Bulletins, and Course Announcements from 1856 to 1970 of Tufts College. In 1956, the bulletin changed name to reflect Tufts University and the individual schools. Volumes include school descriptions, degree requirements, course descriptions, and entrance requirements. Early volumes include the roster of trustees, faculty, staff, and enrolled students. After 1970, individual school bulletins were no longer bound together. DCA is missing the...
Dates: 1854 -- 1970