Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Tufts University



  • Existence: 1955



A petition from the Trustees of Tufts College dated January 20, 1955, and approved on January 28, officially changed the name of the school to Tufts University. The name change, one of President Nils Y. Wessell's original goals, was cited as both an official recognition of an already established event, and also as a recognition of a desirable direction for Tufts to move in.

Since 1955, Tufts University has continued to expand its horizons. In 1964, in one of Wessell's final acts as president, Tufts opened the Experimental College. The Ex-College, which allows students to take classes not normally found in the curriculum, has remained one of Tufts' most popular programs.

In 1977, Tufts established a five-year joint degree program with the New England Conservatory of Music. Soon after, in 1979, a similar program began with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. Also in 1979, the Tufts Center for European Studies in Talloires, France, was established in an 11th Century priory. The Tufts European Center began operation soon after.

In late 1979, Tufts made another important addition. In October, the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine opened at its original Boston campus. In 1980, the Grafton campus, built on the site of a state mental hospital, officially opened its doors.

The last two major additions to Tufts University took place in 1980 and 1981. In 1980, the Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, established with a large grant from the Sackler family, opened its doors on the Boston campus of the Tufts School of Medicine. In 1981, at the Medford Campus, Tufts celebrated the opening of the School of Nutrition Science and Policy. The school was the first of its kind in the nation.

Since Tufts College was officially established in 1852, it has continued to grow and expand in new directions. From its beginnings as a small liberal arts college through its expansion into a full-scale university, Tufts has maintained a strong academic tradition and a community feel.

List of Presidents (A * indicates Acting President)

  • Hosea Ballou II (1853-1861)
  • Alonzo Ames Miner (1862-1875)
  • Elmer Hewitt Capen (1875-1905)
  • Frederick W. Hamilton (1905-1912)
  • William Leslie Hooper* (1912-1914)
  • Hermon Carey Bumpus (1915-1919)
  • John Albert Cousens (1919-1937)
  • George Stewart Miller* (1937-1938)
  • Leonard Carmichael (1938-1952)
  • Nils Yngve Wessell (1953-1966)
  • Leonard Chapin Mead* (1966-1967)
  • Burton Crosby Hallowell (1967-1976)
  • Jean Mayer (1976-1992)
  • John Angelo DiBaggio (1992-2001)
  • Lawrence S. Bacow (2001-2011)
  • Anthony P. Monanco (2011-present)

Found in 3267 Collections and/or Records:

African Student Organization

 Digital Image
Dates: 2001 -- 2002

African Student Organization, 2001 -- 2002

Call Number: UA069.005.DO.00095.00004
Scope and Contents

From the personal collection of Gerald Gill; Two female students holding African Student Organization (A.S.O.) banner

Dates: 2001 -- 2002

Afro American Society

 Digital Image
Dates: 1982

Afro American Society, 1982

 Item — Box Volume 59
Call Number: UP024.001.059.00001.00001
Scope and Contents From the Series:

The yearbook of Tufts University, undergraduate arts and sciences. The Jumbo replaced the Brown and Blue, which ceased publication in 1904. The first Jumbo Book was published in 1917. Other books were published in 1922, 1925, and 1928. The Jumbo has been continuously published since 1928.

Dates: 1982

Ain't Misbehavin'

 Digital Image
Dates: 1902 -- 1990

Ain't Misbehavin', 1902 -- 1990

Call Number: UA069.005.DO.00095.00008
Air view of Health Sciences campus
Air view of Health Sciences campus
Air view of Health Sciences Campus
Air view of Health Sciences Campus
Air view of Health Sciences Campus
Air view of Health Sciences Campus

Air view of Health Sciences campus

 Item — Box 6
Call Number: UA225.004.001.00005.00161
Scope and Contents From the Series:

This series contains slides created and collected by Dr. Henry H. Banks as part of his research for his historical book celebrating the centennial of the School of Medicine, "A Century of Excellence: The History of Tufts University School of Medicine 1893-1993." There are images of the School of Medicine, its staff and students. There are also slides highlighting statistics about the School tuition, enrollment, loans, and financial aid from the 1980s and 1990s.

Dates: 1893 -- 1993