School of Engineering
- Existence: 1898
The School of Engineering was officially established as a distinct school within Tufts College in 1898, over thirty years after the creation of a three-year civil engineering degree program in 1865. As of 2015, the School of Engineering contains six academic departments, the Tufts Gordon Institute, and the Center for Engineering Education and Outreach.
In 1865 Tufts College began a three-year degree program in civil engineering. The Departments of Electrical and Chemical Engineering were later established in 1890, with chemistry labs initially located in Ballou Hall. The School of Engineering was officially established as a distinct school within Tufts College in 1898. Engineering continued to be differentiated from other academic disciplines within Tufts College in 1902, when the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was established with Engineering as a constituent faculty.
In 1922, Edith Linwood Bush, a Tufts alumna, was made an assistant professor of mathematics and therefore became the first female College of Engineering faculty member. In 1943, the first female student graduated from the College of Engineering.
In 1944, the Medford reservoir was drained and dismantled, and recycled bricks were put to use in the construction of new engineering buildings. Among these was the Charles D. Bray Laboratory of Mechanical Engineering, named in 1946 in honor of the first Tufts faculty member to have an academic title containing the words "mechanical engineering."
In 1992, the Gordon Institute became part of Tufts University. Founded in 1984 by Bernard Gordon as the first organization dedicated to training engineering managers and leaders, the Gordon Institute offers graduate degrees in Engineering Management and Innovation and Management, as well as undergraduate programs in Engineering Management and Entrepreneurial Leadership.
In 2004, the Tissue Engineering Resource Center (TERC) was established within the department of Biomedical Engineering with funds from the National Institute of Health. TERC, which also has a partner institute at Columbia University, works to engineer human tissues for medical research.
As of 2015, the School of Engineering contains six academic departments, the Tufts Gordon Institute, and the Center for Engineering Education and Outreach.
Found in 18 Collections and/or Records:
This collection consists of the catalogs and bulletins from 1970 to the present for the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. As of 2018, bulletins for the SMFA are also included in this collection. Bulletins include school descriptions, admissions requirements, degree requirements, course descriptions, and rosters of faculty.
This collection contains course descriptions, syllabi, and assignment documents harvested from the Blackboard Course Management System at the time of its retirement in 2013.
This collection contains the semi-annual publication of Tufts University College of Engineering from 1981 to 1993. Articles on research, programs, students, faculty and alumni of the College of Engineering.
This collection includes one poster and one pamphlet from the Tufts University Department of Computer Science.
The collection contains annual reports, brochures, program and course booklets, and graduate thesis abstracts documenting the Department of Mechanical Engineering's outreach, advancement, and recruitment activities.
This collection contains brochures from the Electro-Optics Technology Center.
Engineering Bulletin, Fall 2016
This collection consists of biographical information, publications, and course materials and notes by and about Frederick C. Nelson. The course materials primarily consist of lecture notes and presentations that Nelson prepared for courses that he taught, such as "Applied Acoustics for Mechanical Engineers."