Eliot-Pearson Children's School
- Existence: 1922
The Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Development and the Children's School began in 1922 as the Ruggles Street School and Training Center, established by Abigail Adams Eliot with assistance from Mrs. Henry Greenleaf Pearson. It was one of the first nursery schools in the United States and served as a site to observe child development. It became affiliated with Tufts University in 1951.
The Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Development and the Children's School began in 1922 as the Ruggles Street School and Training Center, established by Abigail Adams Eliot with assistance from Mrs. Henry Greenleaf Pearson.
As one of the first nursery schools in this country, the Ruggles Street School became a natural training ground for preschool teachers. It also served as a research site for those interested in learning about normal, healthy, active young children - an interest that had emerged with the establishment of child development as a field of study. In 1926 the Ruggles Street School became the Nursery Training School of Boston, reflecting its primary focus on teacher training.
Then, in 1951, it was affiliated with Tufts University, and teachers were able to pursue their college education in conjunction with training in a preschool setting. In 1964, the Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Study was formally established, with the Children's School as its laboratory - demonstration facility. The School and Department have a long history of providing the highest quality of early learning to children at the same time as in depth training to the students of the Department.
Found in 64 Collections and/or Records:
Evelyn Pitcher, educator and chair of the Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Study and Human Development stands in front of the class.The person in the front row,third from the left with her hand up to her chest, was identified by Priscilla Harcourt to be her eldest sister Dr. Mary Ruth (Johns) Fox, MD. She led a distinguished career as a pediatrician for 25 years in the first HMO, Group Health, in Washington, DC.