Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Tufts University

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1955

A petition from the Trustees of Tufts College dated January 20, 1955, and approved on January 28, officially changed the name of the school to Tufts University. The name change, one of President Nils Y. Wessell's original goals, was cited as both an official recognition of an already established event, and also as a recognition of a desirable direction for Tufts to move in.

Since 1955, Tufts University has continued to expand its horizons. In 1964, in one of Wessell's final acts as president, Tufts opened the Experimental College. The Ex-College, which allows students to take classes not normally found in the curriculum, has remained one of Tufts' most popular programs.

In 1977, Tufts established a five-year joint degree program with the New England Conservatory of Music. Soon after, in 1979, a similar program began with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. Also in 1979, the Tufts Center for European Studies in Talloires, France, was established in an 11th Century priory. The Tufts European Center began operation soon after.

In late 1979, Tufts made another important addition. In October, the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine opened at its original Boston campus. In 1980, the Grafton campus, built on the site of a state mental hospital, officially opened its doors.

The last two major additions to Tufts University took place in 1980 and 1981. In 1980, the Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, established with a large grant from the Sackler family, opened its doors on the Boston campus of the Tufts School of Medicine. In 1981, at the Medford Campus, Tufts celebrated the opening of the School of Nutrition Science and Policy. The school was the first of its kind in the nation.

Since Tufts College was officially established in 1852, it has continued to grow and expand in new directions. From its beginnings as a small liberal arts college through its expansion into a full-scale university, Tufts has maintained a strong academic tradition and a community feel.

List of Presidents (A * indicates Acting President)

  • Hosea Ballou II (1853-1861)
  • Alonzo Ames Miner (1862-1875)
  • Elmer Hewitt Capen (1875-1905)
  • Frederick W. Hamilton (1905-1912)
  • William Leslie Hooper* (1912-1914)
  • Hermon Carey Bumpus (1915-1919)
  • John Albert Cousens (1919-1937)
  • George Stewart Miller* (1937-1938)
  • Leonard Carmichael (1938-1952)
  • Nils Yngve Wessell (1953-1966)
  • Leonard Chapin Mead* (1966-1967)
  • Burton Crosby Hallowell (1967-1976)
  • Jean Mayer (1976-1992)
  • John Angelo DiBaggio (1992-2001)
  • Lawrence S. Bacow (2001-2011)
  • Anthony P. Monanco (2011-present)

Found in 3267 Collections and/or Records:

136 Harrison with floors added

 Digital Image
Call Number: tufts:UA225.004.001.00001.00111

136 Harrison with floors added

 Item — Box: 1
Call Number: UA225.004.001.00001.00111
Scope and Contents: Color picture of outside of building
Dates: 1893 -- 1987

'17 Residents Here Take Part In Tufts Exercises' - Medford Mercury clipping featuring Muriel Simonson, 1929-06

 Item — Box: 1
Call Number: MS135.001.001.00003.00007
Scope and Contents: ca. 1925-1970s, bulk 1929-1930
Dates: 1929-06

193 and 203 Harrison Ave.

 Digital Image
Call Number: tufts:UA225.004.001.00001.00044
Dates: 1929-06

193 and 203 Harrison Ave.

 Item — Box: 1
Call Number: UA225.004.001.00001.00044
Scope and Contents: Outside
Dates: 1893 -- 1987

1961 Tufts University School of Medicine

 Digital Image
Call Number: tufts:UP150.001.021.00001
Dates: 1961

1961 Tufts University School of Medicine [yearbook], 1961

 Item — Volume: 21
Call Number: UP150.001.021.00001
Scope and Contents: Yearbook for the Tufts University School of Medicine, Class of 1961.
Dates: 1961

1962 Tufts University School of Medicine

 Digital Image
Call Number: tufts:UP150.001.022.00001
Dates: 1962

1962 Tufts University School of Medicine [yearbook], 1962

 Item — Volume: 22
Call Number: UP150.001.022.00001
Scope and Contents: Yearbook for the Tufts University School of Medicine, Class of 1962.
Dates: 1962

1965-66 Tufts College basketball team, 1965

 Item — Box: 105
Call Number: UA046.003.105.00009.00001
Scope and Contents: Front, left to right: Ken Neiman, Sid Osofsky, Pete Scully, Captain Bill Lewis, Rick Hunter, Dave Taft, John Campbell. Standing: Manager Bruce Binder, Coach George Woodie Grimshaw, Art Marquardt, Jim Devaney, Ron McRobbie, Jim Claffee, Mike Simon, Paul Jacobsen, Ed Langley, Bob Anderson, Assistant Coach Herb Erickson, Assistant manager Scott Ferguson.
Dates: 1965